Many people often get to the hospital before their doctors reveal to them that they were food poisoned. You have to at least know of the Food poisoning symptoms. This illness is usually self-diagnosable
How long does it usually take to get food poisoning?
After eating contaminated food int he next hours one can suffer from nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea. Most often, food poisoning is mild and resolves without treatment. But some people need to go to the hospital.
Most often than not it starts between 30 minutes to 6 hours after ingesting, and usually last only one day. Many bacterial, viral or parasitic agents cause food poisoning.
According to Health Experts, food poisoning symptoms vary with the source of contamination. Most types of food poisoning cause one or more of the following signs and symptoms:
- Watery or bloody diarrhoea
- Abdominal pain and cramps
Whenever you feel any of the above signs or symptoms after eating a meal, seek medical attention.
Tips to Avoid Food Poisoning
- Wash your own hands. Your own hands can very easily be your downfall. Make sure you wash them well before eating or take a good sanitiser with you for your day trips.
- Look for foods that are hot and steaming. Try to avoid hot foods that look like they may have been sat on display for long periods of time. This is especially important if you choose to stay in an all-inclusive type resort where foods can be left under heat lamps for hours at a time.
- Look for obvious signs of hygiene. Are the staff wearing gloves? Hair nets? Utensils? Do a bit of simple detective work before deciding whether to dine at a venue by looking for a few signs that they take hygiene seriously.
- Drink bottled water. Unclean water is a common source of illness for travellers so stick to bottled water and avoid ice cubes in drinks.
- Check your meat. Does it looked cooked inside? It needs to be cooked through. How has it been stored? Look for signs that the meat has been covered and ideally refrigerated. How has it been cooked? Look for signs that the food will have been cooked thoroughly and is piping hot.